Building A Quadcopter! – Part 2

Posted: May 26, 2013 in Hard Projects, Projects, Quadcopter
Tags: , , , , , ,

Hello there! During the meantime since the last blog post, I have been busily working on the quadcopter (and getting called into work alot). It has been taking much longer than I expected, but it is finally nearing completion! Taking a break for now from the stabilization tests (lots of pain!), here’s the log on how to build a quadcopter from various parts that you choose, and not just buy a kit:

(also, read everything! You might find the name of the quadcopter hidden somewhere…)


Frame Parts


The Frame:


Frame Parts

Constructing the frame was straightforward – thankfully, as there wasn’t any real instructions that came with the kit. I decided to go with a kit, due to the carbon fiber, and its low weight. Assembly time took around 30 minutes. Here’s the frame partly assembled, with my tablet (10.1) and a quarter as a reference of size:


Frame Size Comparison

The Motors:


Motors on the Frame

Adding the motors took more time, but wasn’t too difficult. The first problem: motor mounts do not work with my motors. That was a simple fix, just drill new holes!

Second Problem: wires overheated. Kinda brought this problem on myself, when I said I wanted to save money and not go buy the correct wire. Thankfully, there was just a little bit of smoke, and nothing got destroyed.

Third Problem: I destroyed a motor. I was testing out part of the flying sequence, and the quad flipped over (lesson learned – create a trainning platform so the quadcopter does not hurt itself…or others…). When the quadcopter flipped over, the motor came loose from a bearing I overlooked in the quadcopter pre-flight checkoff, and about 19 wires from the windings of the motor came off. Is it fixable? Yes. Do I have time to fix it while trying to finish the quadcopter? No. I went over to the hobby shop and got a similar looking motor, which will cause a few problems later on.

WARNING: when starting to test out code for running the quadcopter, REMOVE propeller blades before testing. One may not spin right, then fly off, and then hit you hard in the leg. (Not really bad, but did still cause some blood to be drawn).

The Electronics:


Motors on the Frame

Finally, the electronics! The best, and worst part of this entire build!

Problem One: One of the Lipos got drained too much before I got to remove it, so it no longer works. I still have one battery working though.

Problem Two: Due to my time constrants, I switched to Arduino for the entire build. Not really a problem per-see – in fact it helps out later on. Just wish I could have gotten my ARM processor on the quadcopter instead.

Problem Three to Some Number: This is for the stabilization part coming soon, as this proved to be the most difficult of the build.

Final Thoughts:

Ok! Thanks for tuning in again! Stay tuned, the next part is the difficult part, implementing stabilization so the quadcopter can actually fly!


Motors on the Frame

Ready To Stabilize? Or is it?

Hopefully will get this to you in the next week – if no more delays in stabilizing the quadcopter occur now.

( Which there was one last night, so that will hold it up till at least Thursday) 😦

And last, but not least, enjoy this video of me crashing the quadcopter:

Eastern FireTail

Advertisements
Comments
  1. […] [ Part Two – "The Body of the Quadcopter" ] […]

  2. […] [ Part Two – "The Body of the Quadcopter" ] […]

  3. […] [ Part 2 – The Body of the Quadcopter ] […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s